You know how it goes. Your little one has a cough or fever. Kiddo isn’t miserable, but definitely needs to relax, rest, chill out, whatever you want to call it. Unfortunately, your child is not interested in resting. She isn’t sick enough to want to sleep or rest, but sick enough to annoy the stuffing out of siblings, pets, and sometimes even mom or dad.
What’s a parent to do?
Below are some ideas that let your child do something fun, or even educational, while resting.
(Please note that if ill, you won’t want your child to make something for others and you will want to sanitize all toys which may be reused or toss out anything that may communicate a disease to others after your child uses it. This is where the dollar store play dough or homemade playdough make a lot of sense. Toss it when finished without too much frustration over replacement costs.)
- Watch a documentary
- Write a story on a piece of paper or a computer/tablet/etc
- Draw a picture
- Use stickers to create a picture or story
- Play a computer game
- Play a board game
- Use beads to make a bracelet
- Sit and build with blocks
- Use kinetic sand or playdough
- Make sensory bottles and use them to look at and relax
- Make letter, number, or dice bottles and play a game
- Use tangrams
- Read books together
- Mix colors to make new ones or use watercolors to paint
Hopefully these ideas, as well as your own, help your child slow down a bit while healing from illness. Remember to secure the caps to bottles or other small pieces for safety and supervise your child as well.